LONG BEACH, NY – The city of Moncton was the target of a cyber attack last week that forced the city to shut down its computer network.
The city publicly announced the attack on Friday after discovering it on Tuesday afternoon.
According to the city, some of its tech workers saw unusual interactions on the city’s network and reported to city guides, who in turn reached out to the county information technology department and the state homeland security bureau.
The network was shut down to protect the city’s data. The city stated that it had also hired an IT company to assess the intrusion and the possible effects.
“As of this writing, there is no evidence of a data breach, ransomware effort, or other apparent malicious intent against the city’s data, but the investigation is ongoing,” said city administrator Donna Gayden.
The city’s board of trustees was due to meet on Tuesday, but the meeting was postponed because of the attack. It has been postponed for that evening.
The city said its external forensic investigation into its network was still ongoing. The city hopes to fully restore its service today.
The city of Moncton is not the first Long Island institution to be attacked by hackers. Last year the Rockville Center School District was the victim of a ransomware attack. The district paid hackers $ 90,000 to unlock its systems after a cyber attack.